Saturday, September 21, 2013

Emmy Predictions - What Do We Think?


I watch more TV than the any normal person should and I do love a lot of it. I love how cinematic (and therefore better) television has become in the last 10 years or so. I am in no way a prediction expert but we all love giving it a try, don't we? I'm only looking at the main categories today and feel free to tell us what you think. Lets get started!

DRAMA SERIES

Nominees: Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones, Homeland, House of Cards, Mad Men.
Should Win: Well there's the "declining quality" shows (Downton, Homeland, Mad Men), there's the "fanboy crazed" shows (GoT, Breaking Bad) and that only leaves one. House of Cards is a stellar show with all the right things going for it. It probably won't, but I hope it wins.
Will Win: I think it's a toss up between last years champ (Homeland) and what people are calling the years best show, that also coincidentally is the only show that aired during the voting (Breaking Bad). I'm going with my gut and betting on the latter.

COMEDY SERIES

Nominees: 30 Rock, The Big Bang Theory, Girls, Louie, Modern Family, Veep.
Should Win: I'm at a complete deadlock in my mind between Girls and Louie. They are both such great shows with such strong leads and compelling storytelling. If I had to choose one, I would go with Louie just because it is "funnier" but in terms of overall quality I would abstain.
Will Win: I get the distinct feeling the Modern Family overrated reign of terror is over. There are a few people that still love it, but the quality difference between S1 and S4 is obvious. In terms of this year, I'm hearing whispers that The Big Bang Theory will finally be rewarded for years of consistent quality, while I wouldn't be surprised at all if 30 Rock gets a nice sendoff.

MOVIE/MINISERIES

Nominees: American Horror Story: Asylum, Behind the Candelabra, The Bible, Phil Spector, Political Animals, Top of the Lake.
Should Win: I can't go past American Horror Story: Asylum. Jessica Lange leads an ensemble cast that has not been matched on television this year and the epic nature of the story and twist after twist... ohhh. I'm getting too excited.
Will Win: While I can't get past AHS, the Academy doesn't seem to be able to get past Behind the Candelabra. It's won 8 already. Done and done.

Lead acting categories after the jump!

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA

Nominees: Connie Britton (Nashville), Claire Danes (Homeland), Michelle Dockery (Downton Abbey), Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel), Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men), Kerry Washington (Scandal), Robin Wright (House of Cards).
Should Win: I don't care what anyone says, I'm rooting with all of my rooting power for Kerry Washington. Scandal is such an underrated show and Washington deserves it after years of stellar work.
Will Win: Claire Danes. No question. Even if Homeland doesn't reap as many.

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA

Nominees: Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey), Bryan Cranston (Breaking Bad), Jeff Daniels (The Newsroom), Jon Hamm (Mad Men), Damian Lewis (Homeland), Kevin Spacey (House of Cards).
Should Win: This is a toughie. Spacey and Daniels are both so stellar (note: I don't watch Breaking Bad) but I have to go with the criminally Emmy-less Jon Hamm. The fact that he hasn't won yet is utterly ridiculous.
Will Win: Mirroring Drama Series, it's a battle between Homeland and Breaking Bad. Damian Lewis and Bryan Cranston. The buzz seems to be with Cranston, so let's go with him.

LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY

Nominees: Laura Dern (Enlightened), Lena Dunham (Girls), Edie Falco (Nurse Jackie), Tina Fey (30 Rock), Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep), Amy Poehler (Parks and Recreation).
Should Win: In any other case I would be rooting for Edie Falco because her work on Nurse Jackie is amazing. This year, however, just adds to the embarrassment that is Amy Poehler's lack of a win in this category. I want her to win just because she hasn't yet. That's cool, right?
Will Win: I wish I could say Amy but it looks like Julia Louis-Dreyfus will be the first to reap back-to-back wins in this category since Patricia Heaton in 2000 & 2001. I wish I liked Veep as much as everyone else seems to.

LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY

Nominees: Alec Baldwin (30 Rock), Jason Bateman (Arrested Development), Louis C.K. (Louie), Don Cheadle (House of Lies), Matt LeBlanc (Episodes), Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory).
Should Win/Will Win: I am very glad to report that I am hearing from the buzzy buzz that Louis C.K. is the favourite to take it out. I hope he does.

LEAD ACTRESS IN A MOVIE/MINISERIES

Nominees: Jessica Lange (American Horror Story: Asylum), Laura Linney (The Big C: Hereafter), Helen Mirren (Phil Spector), Elisabeth Moss (Top of the Lake), Sigourney Weaver (Political Animals).
Should Win/Will Win: Again, this seems pretty cut and dry. Jessica Lange is stellar in AHS and she will most likely nab another Emmy for it.

LEAD ACTOR IN A MOVIE/MINISERIES

Nominees: Benedict Cumberbatch (Parade's End), Matt Damon (Behind the Candelabra), Michael Douglas (Behind the Candelabra), Toby Jones (The Girl), Al Pacino (Phil Spector).
Should Win/Will Win: Michael Douglas. The lock of the night.


Who do you think the big winners will be?


No comments:

Post a Comment